May 8, 2020
Ministry of Long-Term Care
Minister Merrilee Fullerton
400 University Avenue, 6th Floor Toronto, ON M7A 1A1
Dear Minister Fullerton,
I am writing to you today to voice great concerns regarding the recent report of number of COVID-19 cases in residences in my riding. Three long-term care residences have been most affected by many confirmed cases and many deaths. The numbers below shows the numbers from January 15th to May 6th in three of these:
- Laurier Manor, 31 confirmed infected residents, 20 deaths and 37 confirmed infected staff
- Manoir Marochel, 29 confirmed infected residents, 7 deaths and 15 confirmed infected staff
- Montfort Long-Term Care, 54 confirmed infected residents, 19 deaths and 18 confirmed infected staff.
People working within the residences described the conditions, policies and procedure as absolutely abhorrent. Examples include: inconsistent PPE practices; PPE not being changed frequently enough to stop contamination from one wing or floor to another; insufficient PPE supply; insufficient staff, tension between staff; cockroach infestation.
I urge you to take immediate action, directing the Ministry of Long-Term Care to provide management oversight inside the homes while it is in outbreak. The following three main concerns need to be addressed to rectify the situation:
- The ongoing severe shortage of staff to support residents
- PPE protocols not being followed
- Insufficient supply of PPE
Thank you for your attention to this. I know you care about the health and safety of all Ontarians and it is my duty to report and request help for the deeply affected and vulnerable constituents in Ottawa-Vanier.
MPP for Ottawa-Vanier